Thursday, March 22, 2012

Can I Pinterest You in Some Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I've been obsessed with Pinterest for some time now! I'm not saying I was one of the early adopters, but I did get get my invite last summer (thanks to my sister.) Ok, bragging aside, Pinterest is such a good idea, that it's surprising no one thought of it earlier. It's a place to collect, organize and browse everything from recipes and funny sayings to home decorating ideas and DIY crafts.

Sometimes I feel like I get a little carried away pinning all of the things I want to try/buy/do that I never actually accomplish any of it in real life. So a while ago I decided to try out one of the many recipes that I had pinned: Chicken Lettuce Wraps! I made them the week before Cole left, and we both LOVED them so much that I made them again a few nights later! To me they taste just like PF Chang's.


They turned out so well, I couldn't help but feel proud of myself! (Now I have 3 go to meals: tacos, spaghetti and chicken lettuce wraps!) I even went so far as to imagine how Grace's mom (ahem, me) would be legendary for her chicken lettuce wraps one day, but then I came back to reality and realized I was getting kind of dramatic...


Photo Credit: Pinterest

Ingredients:
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar (I substituted white vinegar)
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 tbsp sesame oil (I substituted olive oil)
2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded into bite-sized pieces
8 oz canned water chestnuts, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced
6-10 Boston butter lettuce (or other lettuce) leaves separated and rinsed
1 large carrot, finely shredded
1-2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted

Chicken Preparation:
Place shredded chicken in medium-sized bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons each of sesame oil and soy sauce. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and refrigerate until ready to prepare.

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add onions and water chestnuts. Saute for 4 minutes, then add chicken and reserved soy sauce mixture. Cook about 4 minutes longer before transferring into serving dish.

Serve on top of lettuce leaves and top with carrots, sesame seeds and dipping sauce. (see below)

Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar (I substituted white vinegar)
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp sesame oil (I substituted olive oil)
1 tsp hot water
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced

Dipping Sauce Directions:
In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water, whisking until clear. Add soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use. Prior to serving, combine the hot water, dijon, and garlic in a small bowl, then add to the chilled mixture.

Note: I changed the recipe a little bit to my liking, but you can follow the link to the original recipe.

YUMMY!
I'm planning on making these for Jessica while she's here visiting. Hopefully they go over as well the 3rd time! Do you have a go-to dish?



Mama’s Losin’ It
Pinterest Challenge, find something you’ve pinned, TRY it and share it. Was it worth pinning?

No comments:

Post a Comment