Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sew Many Excuses, Sew Little Time

My sewing machine is haunting me. It just sits on the shelf of the spare closet glaring down at me each time I open the door.
Actually, that might be the creepy little wind-up clown toy on the shelf next to it that is haunting me...

It's not that I don't like it. (My sewing machine, not the clown. I hate the clown.) In fact, I love it. I love my little Singer for all of the possibilities it represents: all of the curtains I could sew, the pillow shams I could create, the adorable clothes I could design for Grace.

But for some reason, I continue to ignore its longing gaze. I mean, there's really no excuse. I took the introduction to sewing class at Ft. Huachuca. The sewing machine comes with a step-by-step DVD. For god sake, it even has a self-threading needle. What is my problem? I started this hobby with such lofty intentions. How hard can threading the needle and winding the bobbin be?

This is what happened the last time I attempted to give the machine a little love: I cleared off the kitchen table, got everything out, and set up the machine. Then I got distracted (blame Grace or Griffin), and the machine sat there for 3 days.

Needle unthreaded.

Bobbin unwound.

This has to end. I think it's too soon to give up on my dreams of do-it-yourself drapes and homemade jumpers. My new goal for the month of March is to fire up my mini sew shop (and buy some no sew hem tape- just in case).

Mama’s Losin’ It
Tell the story of trying to learn a new talent or hobby that you only pursued briefly.

6 comments:

  1. We will work on this this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a brand new sewing machine sitting in the bottom of my closet. It tries to mock me when I open the door, but I just don't look that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the no-sew hem tape. It worked fine until I washed the pants, then it came off in places.

    I did this prompt too: I did this prompt too: http://www.zemeks.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-short-lived-hobby-writers-workshop.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some no-sew. I, too, have a sewing machine that sits unused. Much to my shame I hemmed my husbands pants with tape. The poor man's pants crinkled when he walked. You've inspired me! Perhaps I will get out my machine. Or maybe I can just mail my hubby's pants to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a wonderful old machine, that has been working steady since my Grandma got it in the 70's....and my husband recently made a sewing nook for me so it is always set up and ready....It's mostly just gathering dust!

    ReplyDelete