Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful

Thankful Turkey Craft (see below for instructions)

This weekend I ran the Pinehurst Turkey Trot 10K. It was a great way to start off Thanksgiving week... until I went and ate a giant breakfast burrito afterwards and washed it down with a large mocha. 

Confession: I run to eat!
(and that's fine with me)
K and H were troopers and kudos to their moms for pushing the double stroller! That thing is no joke!
Seriously, though, on this Monday before Thanksgiving I was thinking about all of the Christmas shopping I have yet to do and packing for our trip to Florida later this week. I was thinking I should buy a wreath for the front door. I had thoughts of a cinnamon roll and Pumpkin Spice Latte. Then I took a deep breath and realized...

It doesn't matter. 
Black Friday and holiday travel. 
Decorations and overpriced coffees.
None of it is really important!
What's important is family.
Good health.
Good friends.
Making memories
and
finding time to enjoy what you have
That's what I want my life to be about all year long!
(Not just during the months of November and December! How does that make sense?)

So in honor of turkey day, get out your crafting scissors and let's show some gratitude with attitude!


How To Make a Thankful Turkey

Supplies:
White paper plate
Tan, orange or brown construction paper
Yellow construction paper
Black Sharpie marker
Googley eyes
Foam sticks in assorted colors (or paper feathers cut from construction paper)
Scissors
Glue

Paper plate cut in half with scalloped edges will form the turkey's wings.
  1. Cut your paper plate in half and then use scissors to cut scalloped edges along the round part of the plate.
  2. Cut out a turkey head and neck from the brown or orange construction paper. (I drew mine and then added the eyes and beak with the Sharpie- just make sure the head and neck are at least as tall as the halved paper plate.) 
  3. Cut out the turkey's waddle from the yellow construction paper. (Apparently the waddle is the hangy-thing under a turkey's chin. Turkeys use their waddles for cooling purposes.)
  4. Use 3-7 foam sticks to give your turkey feathers. Fan them out and glue them to the paper plate. Make sure the ends of the sticks all start from the center so they will be covered when you glue on the turkey head. (You could also cut out colorful feathers from construction paper if you don't have the foam sticks.)
  5. Using a Sharpie, write what you're thankful for on the end of each stick. 
  6. Glue the turkey head to the plate. 
  7. Glue the waddle under the turkey's beak.
  8. Glue on some googley eyes!




I'm thankful for friends, my electric blanket, running, Girl Scout Cookies and family.

I promise I am thankful for other things like my freedom and clean water- I just had Thin Mints on the brain while I was crafting my turkey!

Gobble Gobble!
Happy THANKSgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment