Friday, August 24, 2012

DIY Calendar Countdown

During Cole's deployment I've spent a lot of time contemplating painting all of the rooms in our house. Therefore, I steal help myself to a ridiculous number of paint chips at my local home improvement store. I didn't end up painting any of the rooms, but I do have quite an impressive collection of paint chips! 

When you are waiting for something, you have to find little ways to make the days go by. So, inspired by Pinterest, and my clepto paint chip addiction, I decided to get crafty and make a calendar out of paint chips and a picture frame.
How To Make a Paint Chip Calendar

Supplies:
42 paint chips in your favorite color scheme
Large picture frame or poster frame
Poster board cut to fit the frame
Expo Vis-a-Vis Wet Erase markers
Ruler/calculator (or a friend with math skills)
Scissors
Glue, sticky tabs or double sided tape
Chalkboard paint
Chalk

  1. Measure out how big each of your 35 squares will need to be to fill up your frame. Depending on the size of your frame, you may need to leave more/less room at the top for the days of the week. (I would tell you how I calculated my square sizes, but honestly, we know I can't do math in my head, and the fractions were throwing me off... I had to recalculate a few times before it worked out. Yes, this is a sad commentary on my math skills. Maybe I should practice up a bit!?)
  2. Cut out all of your paint chips and arrange in the pattern you plan to use. 
  3. Attach to the paint chips to the poster board using tape or glue. 
  4. Tape off a long rectangular section at the top of the frame and paint with chalkboard paint. (Use this area to write in the month.)
  5. Fill in the days on your calendar using the wet erase markers. (Just wipe with a wet cloth to change each month
  6. Hang and enjoy counting down the days to something fun!

Here are the names of the paint colors I chose, just because I think they are fun, and naming paint colors would be my dream job! (All are Valspar Signature Colors from Lowes):
  • Oatmeal
  • Gold Coin
  • Gypsy Gold
  • Beach House
  • Woodsmoke
  • Gourd
  • Winter Wheat


No comments:

Post a Comment